At night, this 13th century castle looks positively forbidding, occupying a forested knoll over the Sázava River. By daylight the structure, essentially renovated and powerfully fortificated in the second half of the 17th century after being conquered by the soldiers of Jiří of Poděbrady in 1467 and returned to the aristocracy of Šternberk in ruins much later, is less haunting but still impressive.
In season, you can tour some of the rooms fitted out with period furniture (mostly rococo); Today, the outside of the castle looks pretty monolitic, entirely obscuring its then Gothic richness and diversity. The same goes for the inside – little of the early Gothic has survived multiple renovations. There are Baroque rooms with period furnishings of considerable artistic value, complemented with more recent furniture from the 19th century. Some of the halls have a beautiful Baroque stucco decoration (for example in the Knights’ Hall). Other rooms are dedicated to important representatives of the Šternberk family. Besides many others there is an outstanding, great collection of graphic sheets from the 17th century. The castle has an exhibition of historical weapons, hunting trophies, and a romantic tale of a treasure hidden within its ancient walls.